· The Nurses’ Alumni Association of the Winnipeg General Hospital and Health Sciences Centre supports the ongoing education of active Alumni members through two funds: The Jane A. Malcolm* Bursary Fund and the Viola Leadlay** Continuing Education Fund.
· Do you hold a paid annual or life membership in the Alumni? Paid annual or life members of the Alumni are eligible for funding assistance. See below for the Alumni Membership Form. Click on the link to copy form.
· Are you interested in studying for a degree, diploma or certificate? The Alumni can assist you through the Jane A. Malcolm Bursary Fund. Are workshops, seminars and conferences important to you? The Alumni can assist you through the Viola Leadlay Education Fund.
· Application forms for either fund may be obtained
The Convener, Education Committee
· The Nurses’ Alumni Association of the WGH and HSC
· c/o NA 138-700 McDermot Ave.
· Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0T2
· Email: email@example.com
c/o NA 138-700 McDermot Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0T2
Deadline Dates For Applications Are:
Jane A. Malcolm Bursary – September 30
Viola Leadlay Continuing Education Fund – September 30 and March 31
Jane A. Malcolm, a 1919 graduate of the Winnipeg General Hospital School of Nursing, enjoyed a distinguished career in nursing practice and leadership. In 1968, upon her death, the Fund was established when she left a bequest to the Alumni for the establishment of this fund. The Fund, managed by the Winnipeg Foundation, was enhanced upon the receipt of monies from the estate of Evelyn Laughton (Roberts) Class of 1933.
Viola Leadlay, was born in Winnipeg 1896. She attended Kelvin Technical High School in Winnipeg; Havergal College in Toronto and graduated from the Pasadena Hospital School of Nursing in 1922. She earned a B.Sc. in nursing education from Columbia University. Viola left monies in her estate in 1984, to provide assistance to the School of Nursing (SON) or to graduates of the SON for post graduate work. She was on staff of the Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) in Winnipeg from 1928 to 1938, then was nurse-in-charge of VON in Edmonton (Canadian Nurse, 1944, Vol.40,No.1, p.32). She was a lecturer in public health nursing, SON at the University of Manitoba in 1944. In 1947, she worked with the Manitoba Association of Registered Nurses and became registrar in 1950. She suffered a debilitating brain hemorrhage in 1954 and was totally dependent on care until her death in 1983 in Winnipeg.(HSC Archives Viola Leadlay File 2012; Nurses Alumni Assoc. Minutes, 1968 – 1995.)
Copyright © 2023 The Nurses' Alumni Association of the Winnipeg General Hospital & Health Sciences Centre - All Rights Reserved.